Sunday, December 7, 2008

Late for Christmas

I got her for Christmas my fourth grade year, only it was Christmas, it was February when I got her. She is a life-sized stuffed golden retriever now appropriately named "Latesy." She weighs much less than a real golden retriever, only five pounds or so, but looks quite lifelike. Her position is laying down, paws extended forward and hindlegs resting lazily to the side. Her head is erect, though, and she has a bright look in her face. The black outline around her mouth is revealed through her large smile, which also exposes her bright pink tongue. The texture of her fur is also quite nice. It's as if the toy maker sewed actually hair into the fabric that made up light buttery-cream colored stuffed dog.

Since she was a gift from my grandparents, she was even more special. Latesy always had precedence over any of my other hundred or so stuffed animals. She took over my bed, as she preferred sleeping next to me with no other animals allowed. She also got to sit at the dinner table, watch TV in the comfy recliner, and ride next to me in the car. As I grew she never became less important. Constantly Latesy demanded to be the queen of all stuffed animals. Eventually though she was replaced on the bed by a basketball, track tights, softball gloves, and volleyball kneepads. Latesy had to take her spot on the floor for once, but that too became crowded. Sometimes I can hear her demanding some attention, as most dogs tend to do, so I will allow her to come sleep in the bed, her soft fur always a comfort after a long day with the basketball. Although she now resides in the corner of my room, she will always be the most important stuffed animal in the house.

No comments: